The week in brief
It’s a very exciting day for the Rumpus team today, and one we’ve been counting down to for a while now! We’ll reveal why at the end of the blog, but first let’s catch up on the week’s events…
It was a sunny start to the week on Monday, when Paul, Martyn and Lucy headed to Oldham for a catch up meeting with our client, Housing Units.
The home furnishing store’s 70th birthday celebrations continued this week, with a great piece of coverage marking the occasion in The Furnishing Report.
Georgie attended The House Crowd’s property seminar on Wednesday, where Frazer Fearnhead gave a talk on how property crowdfunding works. He identified the different types of platforms available, as well as the benefits and risks associated with each.
Perfectly Clear received recognition this week for becoming the first flavoured water to be certified by Halal Certification Europe – read all about it here.
Lauren and Dawn have been out of the office today, taking photos for children’s cancer charity, Kidscan. Lauren loves any chance to get behind a camera, and they had a great time harnessing their creative sides!
And finally, the night we’ve all been waiting for has finally arrived! The team will be heading to Sale Waterside Arts Centre this evening for a social unlike any we’ve had before! We’ll be watching former Pop Idol winner, Michelle McManus, who is bringing her one woman comedy show to the venue. Martyn is particularly excited, having interviewed Michelle for the Manchester Evening News last week – you can read his piece here.
Long live the press release
To those who don’t work in the PR industry, it is easy to assume that the press release is dead; but contrary to popular belief, it is very much alive and well. It has, however, undergone a Dr Who-style regeneration in recent years. The rules of journalist engagement are still the same as they have always been – presenting an angle, backing it up with factual evidence and ensuring it has reader appeal. If the journalist is interested in your pitch, they will ask for more detail and this is where the press release comes in.
In recent years, however, the rise of digital has resulted in a change in how the press release is presented and approached. In the olden days, a press release would often run into three pages of copy and attempt to write the story for the journalist. These days are now long gone. The modern, savvy PR will provide a clear and concise release that can cater to several different types of journalists. We’ve seen a new breed of online news writers, many of whom are time-poor and need to see the key points without sifting through reams of fluff.
It’s been a great month! Here are some of our highlights:
- Review Travel’s new online booking tool launched into OrBiT and received a special mention online in PALife magazine
- The ‘I Miss’ campaign we produced for Kidscan was nominated for a Charity Film Award, and whilst we lost out to St John Ambulance, this industry-wide recognition was a huge success for the charity
- This month marked two years of partnership with Spire Hospital. It’s been a privilege to work alongside them, from the initial ground-breaking ceremony all the way through to the completion of the hospital this year and its grand opening. This has included securing national coverage for some of their specialists
- To help celebrate Housing Units’ 70th birthday, we produced a timeline video showcasing their impressive history which received 11,000 views on Facebook!
- The ‘Scales of S****’ video we produced for Perfectly highlighted the hidden sugar content of various soft drinks, and it went on to achieve 12,000 views
- And finally, the ‘Hampton Chic’ get-the-look video we produced for Housing Units received a whopping 21,000 views in one week!
Rumpents’ final thoughts
Looking forward to the Manchester marathon this weekend…working at the event, not running that is!
Could not be more excited to see Michelle McManus’ one woman show tonight!
Ready for some family time this weekend!
Looking forward to visiting Chatsworth House this weekend
It’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years. It’s my birthday weekend!
Binge watching the new season of Grace and Frankie on Netflix this weekend!
Ready for my first Michelle McManus experience!
Escaping to North Wales this weekend for a bit of relaxation